I will be speaking at Affiliate Management Days SF 2013 (April 16-17, 2013) on the topic of “Managing Risk: Legal Issues for Merchants & Affiliate Managers.”
Affiliate marketing is one of the most cost-effective techniques for monetizing web site traffic and driving sales. Unfortunately, it has a reputation for high risk. While the industry is unlikely to ever be risk-free, it is possible to manage risk by: (1) understanding how techniques like behavioral and contextual targeting affect consumers, affiliates and merchants, (2) understanding the legal and regulatory environment, (3) understating risks involved with prospective marketing partners, (4) using and maintaining proper contracts that allocate risk and provide appropriate indemnifications, and (5) keeping informed about the changes in technology, marketing practices and the regulatory environment. Attendees will learn how to identify these issues and develop policies and procedures to keep informed about the current technology, marketing strategies and regulatory compliance.
Topics covered include:
- Behavioral/Contextual Advertising
- Regulatory/Industry Compliance : FTC Guides & Enforcement Actions
- CAN-SPAM compliance
- IP Law: Rules governing use of others™ Trademarks/Keywords, Right of Publicity/Endorsement Issues.
- Identifying, protecting against, and disputing accusations of Click-Fraud
- Bad Affiliate Programs: Cheating and Stealing from Affiliates (earnblogger.com)