David M. Adler, Esq. is a 2014 Illinois SuperLawyer, author, educator, entrepreneur and partner with Adler Law Group, a boutique Intellectual Property, Entertainment & Media law firm in Chicago, Illinois created with a specific mission: provide businesses with a competitive advantage by enabling them to leverage their intangible assets and creative content in order to drive innovation and increase overall business value.
We meet this challenge by providing legal counsel on issues related to creation, protection and commercialization of intangible assets, our comprehensive understating of the relevant law, our team of seasoned professionals and our client service philosophy.
In order to provide this level of strategic legal service, the core of our practice is organized around five major substantive areas of law: Intellectual Property Law, Commercial & Finance Law, Entertainment & Media Law, Corporate Law and Contract Law.
Mr. Adler has an extensive private-practice and in-house background counseling clients on corporate and intellectual property law, including corporation and LLC creation and finance, contract interpretation, drafting, negotiation and enforcement as well as copyright and trademark registration and enforcement. Mr. Adler also specializes in advising artistic talent and creative professionals in the arts, entertainment, media and sports industries.
He received his law degree from the DePaul University College of Law in 1997 where he wrote for the DePaul Arts & Entertainment Law Journal. He received a Bachelor of the Arts in English and a Bachelor of the Arts in History from Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana.
Outside the practice of law, Mr. Adler created and taught an undergraduate course on E-Business in the Arts, Entertainment & Media Management Department of Columbia College Chicago, chaired the Chicago Bar Association’s Start-up and Entrepreneurial Ventures Subcommittee, frequently contributes as a “guest expert” columnist for numerous online publications in the areas of ecommerce, intellectual property and small business and speaks to industry and trade groups and associations on these topics.
Publications & Presentations
- “Social Media in Marketing and the Workplace: Legal and Regulatory Compliance” Presenter at RSA Conference 2012 USA, San Francisco, CA, March 1, 2012
- “The legal Side of Privacy and Social Media” Presenter at Socialize Toronto, Toronto Ontario, January 26-27, 2012
- “How Technology is Changing the Music Industry” Arts Law Colloquium Series, DePaul College of Law Chicago, IL November 15, 2011
- “Legal Guidelines for Online Video Marketing” Rocky Mountain Video Expo, Denver CO, October 19, 2011 http://bit.ly/q9wgpw
- “Facebook Marketing: Legal & Regulatory Compliance” Presenter at AF Expo, San Francisco, CA, June 29, 2011
- “Marketing, Branding & Trademarks,” Presenter at RBMA Radiology Summit 2011, New Orleans, LA, June 6, 2011
- “Social Media Marketing: Legal & Regulatory Compliance” Presenter at Socialize: Monetizing Social Media, New York, NY, April 1, 2011
- “Pay for Praise” Entrepreneur Magazine, June 2010
- “Tell-All Author Claims Oprah’s Influence Led to Media Blackballing” Fox Television News,
- “Monetizing Original Media: Broadband, Viral, Episodic Programming, Content & Advertising” Panelist at Digital Hollywood Spring, Santa Monica, CA May 3-6, 2010
- “The Oprah Winfrey Litigation: What Affiliate Marketers MUST Know” Panelist at Search Engine Strategies conference, Chicago, IL December 9, 2009
- “Intellectual Property Issues for Business” Workshop presented to City of Chicago Dept. of Bus. Affairs & Licensing, Chicago, IL June 12, 2009
- “Web 2.0 Legal Risks” Int’l Assoc. of Contract & Commercial Management, Ask the Expert Webinar, Jan. 22, 2009
- “Intellectual Property & Trademark Issues: What SEMs Should Know” presentation to Search Engine Strategies conference, Chicago, IL December 7, 2008
- “Practical Copyright & Trademark Guidance for Webmasters and SEMs,” presentation to Search Engine Strategies conference, New York, NY February 28, 2006
- “Intellectual Property Law for Transactional Attorneys: Internet Issues” Continuing Legal Education seminar for the Chicago Bar Association (CBA), Chicago, IL February 17, 2004.
- “Servicing the Entrepreneur: Intellectual Property,” CLE presentation to CBA, February 11, 2004.
- “Ecommerce Legal Issues for Businesses” presented to the Elgin Chamber of Commerce, Elgin, Illinois, January 10, 2002
- “Legal Aspects of Ecommerce: Securing Ecommerce – Survey of Current Issues.” presented to Chicago Bar Association, November 12, 2001