The professionals at the Adler Law Group are looking forward to announcing upcoming speaking engagements. Please check back for more details.
Here is a list of prior speaking engagements, presentations and legal articles published in the areas of Intellectual Property, Innovation, Design, Marketing, and Entrepreneurship.
- Tips for a Successful & Legal Influencer Marketing Campaign – Influencer Marketing Days NY 2017, New York, NY September 25, 2017.
- Trends in Cyber-Law 2017 ISACA CSX North America 2017, Washington, DC October 2-4, 2017
- The Human Side of IT Acquisitions – Assoc. of Technology Acquisition Professionals CAUCUS IT Procurement Summit, New Orleans, LA, November 7-8, 2017
Legal Obstacles for Digital Content Marketing in Healthcare – When it comes to creating marketing content, how do you stay out of trouble by not going over the line and promise too much? What can you say and what can’t you say? Where guidance does the FTC offer on this? State attorney generals? When it comes to advertising law, there are a lot of nuances, and in this session, you’ll get the inside scoop on just how far you can go to connect with your target audience.
- Business of Design Lecture Series “Contract Basics for Interior Designers” Design Center at The Merchandise Mart. February 23, 2017.
- Entrepreneurship in Health: Addressing Important Issues for Well-Being DePaul University’s Health Sector Panel Series. DePaul University Chicago Nov. 10, 2016.
- Ins & Outs of Contracts for the Interior Design Industry. EDITOR AT LARGE’S LAUNCH SUMMIT AT ADAC – Intensive workshops led by expert instructors covering the most relevant business matters facing the design industry. Sponsored by ADAC, Duralee, and Kravet. Atlanta Decorative Arts Center, Atlanta GA, Nov. 2. 2016
- Inspirational Talk: Using Privacy to Enhance your Brand – Whether poor privacy practices in your industry are perceived as a weakness, or third party privacy advocates are perceived as a threat, privacy can be an opportunity rather than a liability. Reputation and brand protection have been identified as two of the biggest drivers behind increased IT spending to address security threats. Being a privacy champion enhances your brand and helps differentiate you from competitors. Learn why current practices do not depict companies as defenders of privacy and the keys to positioning your brand to benefit from the growing awareness of privacy concerns. ClickZ Live San Francisco, CA Aug. 30 2016
- Digital Healthcare: Privacy and Security Challenges for Physicians and Healthcare Providers. In most industries, services have gone digital. In healthcare, the rush and success of digital healthcare services like Telehealth and mHealth are raising concerns about HIPAA and related privacy and security issues. This presentation will discuss the changing nature of the legal and regulatory landscape with a focus on working with physicians. It will address issues in marketing, like the hanging use of technology in content, social media, email, online scheduling, and customer-oriented services, as well as compliance risks for providers, patients, and third-party service providers. Tinley Park Convention Center, IL April 28-30 2016.
- The New Frontier of Health Innovation: Navigating the Regulatory Landscape -The DePaul Journal of Health Care Law, the Jaharis Health Law Institute, the Center for Intellectual Property, Law, and Technology, and the DePaul Journal of Art, Technology, and Intellectual Property 2016 annual Spring Symposium. At the forefront of the health care sector, medical practitioners, technological savants, and other professionals are working together to use technological advances to improve upon traditional practices. The Symposium will feature insights of individuals who overcame these hurdles and their legal counsel. DePaul Center, Chicago IL March 15, 2016.
- Where You Are Is Who You Are: Legal Trends in Geolocation Privacy & Security – From health apps to mobile devices to utilities, as more services gather and share location data, FTC, lawmakers and privacy advocates have identified location as particularly sensitive because of the types of data collected and risks to people, systems and privacy. This presentation covers the latest issues in security, privacy and regulations, with an eye toward developers and IT managers. RSAConference 2016 Moscone Center, San Francisco, CA March 1, 2016
- Getting ‘Smart’ About Connected Device Privacy -The full potential of the Internet of Things requires the trust of American consumers. Regulators and legislators call for adoption of “best practices” to provide consumers the protections they want and allow full realization of the benefits of the Internet of Things. Yet, few are saying what those best practices are. The FTC has issued reports and cautions that connected devices raise numerous privacy and security concerns. At the same time, state and federal regulators and lawmakers have issued a raft of consumer protection, health and safety legislation. This presentation covers the latest issues and regulations, with an eye toward developers and IT managers, such as 1) what issues surround information gathering, data flow from device, to app to, third party and how is it shared? 2) Are platform level controls sufficient? 3) What role does self-regulation play? This presentation will look at recent developments across consumer and commercial technologies and discuss legal and regulatory reactions and trends. – Internet of Things West Las Vegas, NV November 5-6, 2015.
- Legal Clinic: Legal Obstacles in Digital Marketing for Healthcare Companies – MATTER Chicago, IL November 12, 2015
- Privacy Implications of Mobile Advertising Location Data – The latest issues in location and privacy laws and regulations, with an eye toward developers and IT managers including gathering location information gathered, data flow across devices, apps and third parties, sharing and using location data in mobile advertising, consent requirements, mobile platform level controls sufficient and self-regulation. Interop Las Vegas 2015 Mandalay Bay Convention Center, April 30, 2015
- REPUTATION MANAGEMENT: How to Leverage the Power of
Social Media & Patient Ratings – The “Do’s and Don’ts” of responding to Bad or False Reviews Presented to Independent Physician Admissions, March 19th, 2015, Oakbrook Terrace, IL.
- Client Contracts 2.0 – Have you ever had a client refuse to pay a bill, not give you credit for your work, or use your design scheme without hiring you? As loathsome as these situations sound, the reality is that they happen more often than we like to admit. The best way to avoid these issues is to arm yourself with an airtight contract. This discussion addresses some of the biggest risk factors interior designers face today and how contracts can (and more importantly, should) cover an interior design professional. In this class, attendees learn to:
- Identify the biggest risk factors addressed in a contract
- Identify common pitfalls when accommodating client requests and/or modifications to the contract
- Navigate the boundaries of what should and should not be changed in your contract
- Identify advanced legal issues for large-scale projects
Presented to Editor at Large, Wednesday, February 18 2015 09:30AM – 11:30AM New York, NY
- Protecting Original Design – What Designers Need to Know about Intellectual Property Law- From interiors to furniture design, film and fashion, creative industries are taking steps to protect and promote original work. Designers and manufacturers need to know what steps they can take to protect their designs, their businesses and their profits. What’s New What’s Next New York Design Center, Sept. 18, 2014
- Launch: Cocktails & Contracts. Presentation to Editor at Large, 135 West 29th Street, Suite 601, New York, NY July 9, 2014 http://www.editoratlarge.com/articles/4590/designers-drop-in-for-cocktails-and-contracts-by-launch?page=2&paginate=true&term=LAUNCH
- Identifying Intellectual Property Issues in Start-ups. Live CLE presentation to Illinois State Bar Assoc. Chicago, IL May 27, 2014
- Online Marketing: Trends in Behavioral Advertising. Digital Marketing for Business Conf. Raleigh, NC May 6-8, 2014
- Protecting Original Design: What Every Designer Needs to Know about Copyright, Trademark & Patent Law. San Francisco Design Center San Francisco, CA February 6, 2014
- “Social Marketing: Trend in Behavioral Advertising” Speaker at Inside Social Marketing Conference, New York, NY, December 3-4, 2013.
- “Owning Design: Protecting Original Design in an Age of Knock-Offs” Panelist during Fall Market at the Decoration & Design Building, New York, NY October 2, 2013. #DDBFallMarket #DDBMarket VIDEO here: https://youtu.be/Z_35GRuIgRs
- “The Regulatory Landscape of Mobile Payment and Commerce” Panelist at Mobile Commerce World, June 24-26, 2013 San Francisco, CA. Presentation available soon.
- “Managing Risk: Legal Issues for Merchants & Affiliate Managers,” presentation to Affiliate Management Days 2013 – San Francisco, CA April 17, 2013.
- “Social Media in Marketing and the Workplace: Legal and Regulatory Compliance” Presenter at RSA Conference 2013 USA, San Francisco, CA, February 26, 2013
- Lawyers take their practices to the stage, TV – and the conference room – Chicago Lawyer Magazine Feb. 01, 2013
- Fashion Law: Protecting Brands and Designs Article featured in Landslide, the Magazine of the Intellectual Property Section of The American Bar Assoc. Vol. 5, No. 3 Jan/Feb 2013
- NBI’s E-Commerce for Business Attorneys: Ensuring Compliance, Avoiding Liabilities, Teleconference on Friday, December 07, 2012.
- “CLOUD COMPUTING LEGAL RISKS & STRATEGIES” at Technology Convergence Conference 2013, Santa Clara, CA
- “FaceBook Marketing Legal & Regulatory Compliance” Presenter at AllFacebook Marketing Conference, San Francisco, CA June 28-29, 2012. Presentation available here.
- “Law & Social Data” Presenter at Techweek Chicago 2012, June 24, 2012 Presentation available here.
- “Social Media Legal & Regulatory Compliance“ Presenter at @Midwest, Normal, IL June 21, 2012
- Social Media “Venture Heaven” Venture Capital in Social Media & Mobile Applications Panelist at Converge Silicon Valley 2012, Silicon Valley, CA, June 4, 2012
- “Social Media in Marketing and the Workplace: Legal and Regulatory Compliance” Presenter at RSA Conference 2012 USA, San Francisco, CA, March 1, 2012
- RSAC2012 Podcast: LAW-303: Social Media in Marketing and the Workplace: Legal and Regulatory Compliance
- “The legal Side of Privacy and Social Media” Presenter at Socialize Toronto, Toronto Ontario, January 26-27, 2012
- “How Technology is Changing the Music Industry” Arts Law Colloquium Series, DePaul College of Law Chicago, IL November 15, 2011
- “Legal Guidelines for Online Video Marketing” Rocky Mountain Video Expo, Denver CO, October 19, 2011 http://bit.ly/q9wgpw
- “Facebook Marketing: Legal & Regulatory Compliance” Presenter at AF Expo, San Francisco, CA, June 29, 2011
- “Marketing, Branding & Trademarks,” Presenter at RBMA Radiology Summit 2011, New Orleans, LA, June 6, 2011
- “Social Media Marketing: Legal & Regulatory Compliance” Presenter at Socialize: Monetizing Social Media, New York, NY, April 1, 2011
- “Pay for Praise” Entrepreneur Magazine, June 2010
- “Tell-All Author Claims Oprah’s Influence Led to Media Blackballing” Fox Television News,
- “Monetizing Original Media: Broadband, Viral, Episodic Programming, Content & Advertising” Panelist at Digital Hollywood Spring, Santa Monica, CA May 3-6, 2010
- “The Oprah Winfrey Litigation: What Affiliate Marketers MUST Know” Panelist at Search Engine Strategies conference, Chicago, IL December 9, 2009
- “Intellectual Property Issues for Business” Workshop presented to City of Chicago Dept. of Bus. Affairs & Licensing, Chicago, IL June 12, 2009
- “Web 2.0 Legal Risks” Int’l Assoc. of Contract & Commercial Management, Ask the Expert Webinar, Jan. 22, 2009
- “Intellectual Property & Trademark Issues: What SEMs Should Know” presentation to Search Engine Strategies conference, Chicago, IL December 7, 2008
- “Practical Copyright & Trademark Guidance for Webmasters and SEMs,” presentation to Search Engine Strategies conference, New York, NY February 28, 2006
- “Intellectual Property Law for Transactional Attorneys: Internet Issues” Continuing Legal Education seminar for the Chicago Bar Association (CBA), Chicago, IL February 17, 2004.
- “Servicing the Entrepreneur: Intellectual Property,” CLE presentation to CBA, February 11, 2004.
- “Ecommerce Legal Issues for Businesses” presented to the Elgin Chamber of Commerce, Elgin, Illinois, January 10, 2002
- “Legal Aspects of Ecommerce: Securing Ecommerce – Survey of Current Issues.” presented to Chicago Bar Association, November 12, 2001